- The definition of endogenous is coming from the inside.
An example of something endogenous is a tumor that is caused by conditions inside the body not by externally-introduced conditions such as smoking.
- developing from within; originating internally
- Biol. growing or developing from or on the inside
- Physiol., Biochem. of the anabolism of cells
Origin: endogen plush -ous
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Produced or growing from within.
- Originating or produced within an organism, tissue, or cell: endogenous secretions.
- en·dogˈe·nous·ly adverb
- en·dogˈe·ny noun
endogenous - Medical Definition
- Originating or produced within an organism, tissue, or cell.
- Caused by factors within the body. Used of a disease.
- endogenously adverb
- endogeny noun
endogenous - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.