- The definition of endogenous is coming from the inside.
An example of something endogenous is a tumor that is caused by conditions inside the body not by externally-introduced conditions such as smoking.
- developing from within; originating internally
- Biol. growing or developing from or on the inside
- Physiol., Biochem. of the anabolism of cells
Origin of endogenousendogen + -ous
- Originating internally.
- Originating or produced within an organism, tissue, or cell: endogenous hormones.
(comparative more endogenous, superlative most endogenous)
- produced, originating or growing from within
- of a natural process or caused by factors within the body