Ears of corn still in their husks.
husk definition by Webster's New World
- the dry outer covering of various fruits or seeds, as of an ear of corn
- the dry, rough, or useless outside covering of anything
Origin: Middle English huske, probably ; from Middle Dutch huuskijn, diminutive of huus, house
- husker noun
husk definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The outer membranous or green envelope of some fruits or seeds, as that of a walnut or an ear of corn.
- A shell or outer covering, especially when considered worthless.
- A framework serving as a support.
Origin: Middle English, probably diminutive of hus, house, Middle Dutch hūskijn, little house, core of an apple; see House .
- huskˈer noun