A black walnut tree in autumn.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a tall walnut tree (Juglans nigra) native to E North America
- its hard, heavy, dark-brown wood, used in making furniture, gunstocks, etc.
- its edible, oily nut
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An eastern North American tree (Juglans nigra) having dark brown wood and a deeply furrowed nut enclosed in a globose aromatic husk.
- The wood of this tree, used especially for veneer, cabinets, furniture, and gunstocks.
- The nut of this tree, having an edible kernel used especially in confections.