- The definition of a hinge is a movable mechanism that joins a door and a frame, a gate and a fence or other related things that need to open and close of a hinge is a central or important point that everything depends upon.
- The joint between a door and a frame that pivots when the door opens is an example of a hinge.
- A pivotal moment in time that everything turns on or depends upon is an example of a hinge.
- To hinge is defined as to attach or join to something using a mechanism that allows for swinging or opening, or to depend on entirely or to turn on entirely.
- When an ironing board is attached to a wall by a mechanism that allows it to fold up, this is an example of a time when the ironing board hinges to the door.
- When a project depends upon receiving funding, this is an example of a time when the project hinges on the receipt of funding.
A door hinge.
hinge definition by Webster's New World
- a joint or device on which a door, gate, lid, etc. swings
- a natural joint, as of the bivalve shell of a clam or oyster
- a thin, gummed piece of paper, folded for fastening a stamp in an album
- anything on which matters turn or depend; cardinal point or principle; pivot
Origin: Middle English earlier henge (vowel raised before nasal) ; from hengen (; from Old Norse hengja) or ; from hangen: see hang
hinge definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A jointed or flexible device that allows the turning or pivoting of a part, such as a door or lid, on a stationary frame.b. A similar structure or part, such as one that enables the valves of a bivalve mollusk to open and close.
- A small folded paper rectangle gummed on one side, used especially to fasten stamps in an album.
- A point or circumstance on which subsequent events depend.
- To attach by or equip with or as if with hinges or a hinge.
- To consider or make (something) dependent on something else; predicate: “convenient and misleading fictions for hinging an argument” (Stephen Jay Gould).
Origin: Middle English henge; see konk- in Indo-European roots.
left: strap hinge
hinge - Medical Definition