The definition of a strap is something used to carry, bind, fasten or connect.
An example of a strap is a narrow piece of leather to carry a purse over the shoulder; a shoulder strap.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
Strap is defined as to fasten or connect.
An example of strap is to buckle a seat belt.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a narrow strip or band of leather or other flexible material, often with a buckle or similar fastener at one end, for binding or securing things
- any flat, narrow piece, as of metal, used as a fastening
- any of several straplike parts or things, as a shoulder strap, a loop for pulling on boots, a razor strop, etc.
Origin: dial. form of strop
transitive verb strapped, strapping
- to fasten with a strap
- to beat with a strap
- to strop (a razor)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
transitive verb strapped strapped
a. A long narrow strip of pliant material such as leather.
b. Such a strip equipped with a buckle or similar fastener for binding or securing objects.
- A thin flat metal or plastic band used for fastening or clamping objects together or into position.
- A narrow band formed into a loop for grasping with the hand.
- A razor strop.
- A strip of leather used in flogging.
- To fasten or secure with a strap.
- To beat with a strap.
- To sharpen (a razor, for example).
Origin: Alteration of strop.
strap - Investment & Finance Definition
Wall Street Words: An A to Z Guide to Investment Terms for Today's Investor by David L. Scott. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A combination option made up of two calls and one put. The buyer of a strap profits from large variations in the price of the underlying asset, especially if it moves upward.
strap - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A strip or piece of adhesive plaster. verb
To support or bind a part, especially with overlapping strips of adhesive plaster.