pennant definition by Webster's New World
- any long, narrow, usually triangular flag, as used in naval signal hoists, for a school banner, etc.
- any such flag symbolizing a championship, esp. in baseball
Origin: ; from pennon, altered by associated, association with pendant
pennant definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Nautical A long, tapering, usually triangular flag, used on ships for signaling or identification.
- A flag or an emblem similar in shape to a ship's pennant.
- Sports a. A flag that symbolizes the championship of a league, especially a professional baseball league.b. The championship symbolized by such a flag.
Origin: Blend of pendant1 and pennon.
pennant - Investment & Finance Definition
A term used in technical analysis to refer to a pattern created by price movements. When the price points are connected, the pattern looks like a pennant. Pennants are created by a sharp initial move upwards or downwards, followed by a limited trading range, which creates a shape like a pennant after the upward and downward trendlines merge. Usually these are short-lived patterns lasting only a few weeks.