- a badge, symbol, or token of office or authority
- a flag or banner; specif., a national flag, as one displayed on a ship
- Brit. Army, Historical a commissioned officer who served as standard-bearer
Origin of ensignafter Fr enseigne de vaisseau, ship's ensign, midshipmanU.S. Navy a commissioned officer of the lowest rank, ranking just below a lieutenant junior grade
Origin of ensignMiddle English and amp; Old French enseigne ; from Classical Latin insignia: see insignia
- A national flag displayed on ships and aircraft, often with the special insignia of a branch or unit of the armed forces.
- A standard or banner, as of a military unit.
- a. A commissioned rank in the US Navy or Coast Guard that is below lieutenant junior grade.b. One who holds this rank.
- A badge, emblem, or token of power or authority.
Origin of ensignMiddle English ensigne, from Old French enseigne, from Latin &imacron;nsignia, insignia; see insignia.