- a curved or bent piece of metal, wood, etc. used to catch, hold, or pull something; specif.,
- a curved piece of wire or bone with a barbed end, for catching fish
- a curved piece of metal, wood, etc. fastened to a wall or chain at one end, used to hang things on, raise things up, etc.: a coat hook
- a small metal catch inserted in a loop, or eye, to fasten clothes together
- Naut., Slang an anchor
- a curved metal implement for cutting grain, etc.
- something shaped like a hook; specif.,
- a curving cape or headland: used in place names: Sandy Hook
- a sharp bend in a stream
back-form. < hooker (sense ) a trap; snare
- Informal something intended to attract attention or encourage involvement; specif., in popular music, a catchy, repeated phrase, verse, riff, etc.
- the path of a hit or thrown ball that curves away to the left from a right-handed player or to the right from a left-handed player
- a ball that follows such a path
- Boxing a short, sharp blow delivered with the arm bent at the elbow
- Music flag (sense )
ME < OE hoc, akin to hake, MDu hoec, ON hakr < IE base *keg-, peg for hanging