- The definition of a plume is a feather or a group of feathers, or a cloud of material spreading from its source.
- A large, full feather from an ostrich that you wear in your hat is an example of a plume.
- A cloud of smoke coming from someone who is smoking a cigarette is an example of a plume of smoke.
- To plume means to decorate with a feather, or to spread out from a source.
- Adding a large turkey feather to a hat is an example of a way to plume a hat.
- When smoke billows out in waves from a factory, this is an example of when smoke plumes.
plume definition by Webster's New World
- a feather, esp. a large, fluffy, or showy one
- a cluster of such feathers
- an ornament made of a large feather or feathers, or of a feathery tuft of hair, esp. when worn on a hat, helmet, etc. as a mark of distinction
- any token of worth or achievement; prize
- plumage or down
- something like a plume in shape or lightness: a plume of smoke
- Biol. a featherlike formation or part
- Geol. a plume-shaped mass of molten rock that rises through the crust from the mantle of the earth and causes volcanic activity
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin pluma, downy part of a feather, small soft feather ; from Indo-European base an unverified form pleus-, to pluck out, fluff of wool, hair from source fleece
plume definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A feather, especially a large and showy one.
- A large feather or cluster of feathers worn as an ornament or symbol of rank, as on a helmet.
- A token of honor or achievement.
- A structure or form that is like a long feather: a plume of smoke.
- Ecology A space in air, water, or soil containing pollutants released from a point source.
- Geology An upwelling of molten material from the earth's mantle.
- To decorate, cover, or supply with or as if with plumes.
- To smooth (feathers); preen.
- To congratulate (oneself) in a self-satisfied way: plumed himself on his victory.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin plūma.
plume - Science Definition
- A feather, especially a large one.
- A body of magma that rises from the Earth's mantle into the crust. ♦ If a plume rises to the Earth's surface, it erupts as lava. ♦ If it remains below the Earth's surface, it eventually solidifies into a body of rock known as a pluton.
- An area in air, water, soil, or rock containing pollutants released from a single source. A plume often spreads in the environment due to the action of wind, currents, or gravity.