- Provided or adorned with one or more plumes or plumelike structures: a plumed hat; a plumed seed.
- Having hair that resembles a plume, as in being long and fluffy: a dog's plumed tail.
Variant of plume
- a feather, esp. a large, fluffy, or showy one
- a cluster of such feathers
- an ornament made of a large feather or feathers, or of a feathery tuft of hair, esp. when worn on a hat, helmet, etc. as a mark of distinction
- any token of worth or achievement; prize
- plumage or down
- something like a plume in shape or lightness: a plume of smoke
- Biol. a featherlike formation or part
- Geol. a plume-shaped mass of molten rock that rises through the crust from the mantle of the earth and causes volcanic activity
Origin of plumeOld French ; from Classical Latin pluma, downy part of a feather, small soft feather ; from Indo-European base an unverified form pleus-, to pluck out, fluff of wool, hair from source fleece