- The definition of knee is the joint between the thigh and lower leg.
An example of a knee is the part of the body on which a person kneels.
- Knee is defined as to hit or strike using the joint between the thigh and lower leg.
An example of knee is to hit a soccer ball with this joint.
A woman massages her knee.
knee definition by Webster's New World
- the joint between the thigh and the lower part of the human leg
- the front part of the leg at this joint
- a joint regarded as corresponding or similar to the human knee, as a joint in the leg of a quadruped or bird
- anything resembling or suggesting a knee, esp. a bent knee; specif.,
- a bent piece of wood used as a brace
- a protuberant, woody growth on certain trees
- the part of a stocking, trouser leg, etc. that covers the knee
Origin: Middle English kne ; from Old English cneow, akin to German knie ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝeneu- from source Sanskrit jnu, Classical Greek gony, gonia, Classical Latin genu, a knee
knee definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The joint between the thigh and the lower leg, formed by the articulation of the femur and the tibia and covered anteriorly by the patella.b. The region of the leg that encloses and supports this joint.
- An analogous joint or part of a leg of a quadruped vertebrate.
- Something resembling the human knee, such as a bent piece of pipe.
- The part of a garment, as of trousers, that covers the knee.
- An abrupt woody projection arising from the roots of some swamp-growing trees: cypress knees.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English cnēo; see genu-1 in Indo-European roots.
knee - Medical Definition
- The joint between the thigh and the lower leg, formed by the articulation of the femur and the tibia and covered anteriorly by the patella.
- The region of the leg that encloses and supports this joint.
knee - Phrases/Idioms
bring to one's knees