pl. -·las or -·lae
- a small, shallow pan used in ancient Rome
- a movable bone at the front of the human knee
- Biol. any panlike formation
Origin of patellaL, diminutive of patina, a pan ; from Classical Greek patan? ; from an unverified form petana ; from Indo-European base an unverified form pet-, to spread out from source fathom, Classical Latin patere
- a. A flat triangular bone located at the front of the knee joint. Also called kneecap.b. A dish-shaped anatomical formation.
- A pan or dish in ancient Rome.
Origin of patellaLatin, diminutive of patina, plate, pan; see paten.
- pa·tel′lar, pa·tel′late