nounpl. -·las or -·lae
- a small, shallow pan used in ancient Rome
- a movable bone at the front of the human knee
- Biol. any panlike formation
Origin of patellaL, diminutive of patina, a pan from Classical Greek patan? from an unverified form petana from Indo-European base an unverified form pet-, to spread out from source fathom, Classical Latin patere
- a. A flat triangular bone located at the front of the knee joint. Also called kneecap .b. A dish-shaped anatomical formation.
- A pan or dish in ancient Rome.
Origin of patellaLatin diminutive of patina plate, pan ; see paten .
- pa·tel′lar pa·tel′late