Chicken pate on bread.
- An example of a pate is the part of the body that thinks.
- An example of a pate is a mixture of ground chicken livers, fat, herbs and wine which has been pressed into a log.
Pate is defined as the head or brain, or a paste of meat and fat.
- the head, esp. the top of the head
- the brain or intellect
Origin of pateMiddle English ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- The human head, especially the top of the head: a bald pate.
- The mind or brain.
Origin of pateMiddle English.
Origin of pateFrench, from Old French paste, paste; see paste1.
- A meat paste, such as pâté de foie gras.
- A small pastry filled with meat or fish.
Origin of pateFrench, from Old French paste, paste, pâté; see paste1.
- (somewhat archaic) The head, particularly the top or crown.
- He had a shiny, bald pate.
- (archaic) Wit, cleverness, cognitive abilities.
Attested since circa 1700, from French pÃ¢tÃ©, from Old French paste, pastÃ©e.