- Pate is defined as the head or brain, or a paste of meat and fat.
- An example of a pate is the part of the body that thinks.
- An example of a pate is a mixture of ground chicken livers, fat, herbs and wine which has been pressed into a log.
Chicken pate on bread.
pate definition by Webster's New World
- the head, esp. the top of the head
- the brain or intellect
Origin: Middle English ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
pate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The human head, especially the top of the head: a bald pate.
- The mind or brain.
Origin: Middle English.
- patˈed adjective
Origin: French, from Old French paste, paste; see paste1.
- A meat paste, such as pâté de foie gras.
- A small pastry filled with meat or fish.
Origin: French, from Old French paste, paste, pâté; see paste1.