Chicken pate on bread.
- An example of a pate is the part of the body that thinks.
- An example of a pate is a mixture of ground chicken livers, fat, herbs and wine which has been pressed into a log.
- the head, esp. the top of the head
- the brain or intellect
Origin of pateMiddle English from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Origin of pâteFrench
- a meat pie
- a meat paste or spread
Origin of pâtéFrench
- The human head, especially the top of the head: a bald pate.
- The mind or brain.
Origin of pateMiddle English
Origin of pateFrench from Old French paste paste ; see paste 1.
- a. A meat paste, such as pâté de foie gras.b. A similar paste made of seasoned vegetables.
- A small pastry filled with meat or fish.
Origin of pateFrench from Old French paste paste, pâté ; see paste 1.
- (somewhat archaic) The head, particularly the top or crown.
- He had a shiny, bald pate.
- (archaic) Wit, cleverness, cognitive abilities.
Attested since circa 1700, from French pÃ¢tÃ©, from Old French paste, pastÃ©e.