- The definition of conk means the nose, head or a hit on the head, or a tree fungus, or a straight and flat hair style worn by some African Americans.
- An example of a conk is the part of the body on which a hat is placed.
- An example of a conk is a shelf-like fungus growth on the trunk of a tree.
- An example of a conk is a hair style created by smoothing the hair with lye.
- Conk is slang and means to hit on the head.
An example of conk is to bang your head on a wall.
- Brit. the nose
- the head
- a blow on the head
Origin of conkfrom conch
- to stop suddenly to operate or function
- to become very tired and fall asleep
- to die
Origin of conkaltered from uncertain or unknown; perhaps conch
Origin of conkfrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps name of a kind of copal, used for straightening hair
- a. The head.b. A blow, especially on the head.
- Chiefly British The human nose.
verbconked, conk·ing, conks
- To stop functioning; fail: The engine conked out on the final lap.
- To fall asleep, especially suddenly or heavily: conked out on the couch watching television.
- To pass out; faint.
- To die.
Origin of conkPerhaps variant of conch N., sense 1b, and v., probably of imitative origin
Origin of conkPerhaps alteration of conch
transitive verbconked, conk·ing, conks
Origin of conkPerhaps alteration of congolene substance for straightening hair
(third-person singular simple present conks, present participle conking, simple past and past participle conked)