- The definition of heartless is showing a lack of empathy or compassion.
When you walk by a starving person without feeling bad or giving him any food, this is an example of when you might be described asheartless.
- Archaic lacking spirit, courage, or enthusiasm
- lacking kindness or feeling; hard and pitiless
Origin of heartlessMiddle English herteles ; from Old English heortleas
- Devoid of compassion or feeling; pitiless.
- Archaic Devoid of courage or enthusiasm; spiritless.
(comparative more heartless, superlative most heartless)
heart + -less