Evening is defined as the time after sunset and before bedtime, or a later period of a lifetime or career.noun
- An example of evening is seven o'clock at night.
- An example of evening is the post retirement life of a professional golfer; the evening of his life.
- the last part of the day; close of the day and early part of night; period between sunset or the last meal of the day and bedtime
- in some parts of the South, in rural areas, and in parts of England, the period from noon through sunset and twilight
- the last period, as of life, a career, etc.
- a part of the night spent in a specified way: a musical evening
Origin: ME < OE æfnung, verbal n. < æfnian, to grow toward evening < æfen, evening, akin to Ger abend, prob. < IE base *epi-, *opi-, after, later (> Gr epi, L ob): basic sense “later part of the day”
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The period of decreasing daylight between afternoon and night.
- The period between sunset or the evening meal and bedtime: a quiet evening at home.
- A later period or time: in the evening of one's life.
- Chiefly Southern U.S. The time from noon to twilight.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English ǣfnung, from ǣfnian, to become evening, from ǣfen, evening.