- the daily disappearance of the sun below the western horizon
- the varying time of this
- the atmospheric phenomena at this time; esp., the color of the western sky at sunset
- the final phase or decline (of a period)
Origin: Middle English sunne set, sonsette: see sunrise
- ☆ designating or of a law, bill, etc. requiring that certain government agencies, programs, etc. come to an end after a specified period unless they get legislative approval again
- designating an industry that is in a final state of decline, as because of a diminished use of its products or an inability to meet foreign competition
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The event or time of the daily disappearance of the sun below the western horizon.
- A decline or final phase: the sunset of an empire.