- the time of day from noon to evening
- any period of beginning decline
The definition of afternoon is the time between noon and evening.
Going for a walk an hour before sunset is an example of an afternoon stroll.
of, in, or for the afternoon
- The part of day from noon until dinnertime or sunset.
- The latter part: in the afternoon of life.
From after- + noon
- Toward four o'clock in the afternoon Murat's troops were entering Moscow.
- "Good afternoon," he said.
- They usually spent the morning hours in the garden and the afternoon at the pool.
- The afternoon sun was high in the sky, baking the revelers in summer warmth as they clustered around the intersection of Sixth and Main Street, the site of the infamous water fight.
- In the afternoon they all went to a great field outside the city gates where the games were to be held.