- the time of day from noon to evening
- any period of beginning decline
The definition of afternoon is the time between noon and evening.
Going for a walk an hour before sunset is an example of an afternoon stroll.
of, in, or for the afternoon
- The part of day from noon until dinnertime or sunset.
- The latter part: in the afternoon of life.
From after- + noon
- Toward four o'clock in the afternoon Murat's troops were entering Moscow.
- "Good afternoon," he said.
- They usually spent the morning hours in the garden and the afternoon at the pool.
- In the afternoon there were to be games and races.
- In the afternoon they all went to a great field outside the city gates where the games were to be held.