- Noon is defined as 12:00 o'clock in the afternoon.
The scheduled time for a lunch break at 12:00 is an example of noon.
It's almost noon!
noon definition by Webster's New World
- twelve o'clock in the daytime; midday
- the highest point or culmination
- Rare midnight: now only in
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English non, origin, originally , the ninth hour (by the Roman method, reckoning from sunrise: i.e., 3 p.m.) ; from Classical Latin nona (hora), ninth (hour) ; from novem, nine
noon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Twelve o'clock in the daytime; midday.b. The time or point in the sun's path at which the sun is on the local meridian. Also called noontide, noontime.
- The highest point; the zenith.
- Archaic Midnight.
Origin: Middle English non, from Old English nōn, canonical hour of nones (3 P.M. in early Middle Ages), from Late Latin nōna (hōra), ninth (hour after sunrise), nones, feminine sing. of Latin nōnus, ninth; see newṇ in Indo-European roots.