- Supper is a light evening meal.
An example of supper is a turkey sandwich on Thanksgiving night after having eaten a big meal earlier in the day.
supper definition by Webster's New World
- an evening meal; specif.,
- one that is the chief meal of the day
- one eaten on a day when the chief meal (called dinner) is served during the middle of the day
- a late, usually light, evening meal
- ☆ an evening social affair at which a meal is served: a church supper
Origin: Middle English souper ; from Old French origin, originally infinitive , to sup
supper definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A light evening meal when dinner is taken at midday.b. A light meal eaten before going to bed.
- A dance or social affair where supper is served.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French souper, to sup, supper; see sup2.