An example of supper is a turkey sandwich on Thanksgiving night after having eaten a big meal earlier in the day.
- an evening meal; specif.,
- one that is the chief meal of the day
- one eaten on a day when the chief meal (called dinner) is served during the middle of the day
- a late, usually light, evening meal
- an evening social affair at which a meal is served: a church supper
Origin of supperMiddle English souper from OFr, origin, originally infinitive , to sup
- a. An evening meal; dinner.b. A light or informal evening meal, especially when dinner is taken at midday.c. A light meal eaten before going to bed.
- A dance or social affair where supper is served.
Origin of supperMiddle English from Old French souper to sup, supper ; see sup2.
(third-person singular simple present suppers, present participle suppering, simple past and past participle suppered)
- To consume a snack before retiring.
- To eat dinner (see above).
Old French soper. Compare French souper.