vespertine[ves′pər tin, -tīn′]
vespertine definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- of or occurring in the evening
- Bot. opening or blossoming in the evening
- Zool. becoming active or flying in the early evening
Origin: Classical Latin vespertinus ; from vesper: see vesper
vespertine definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the evening.
- Botany Opening or blooming in the evening.
- Zoology Becoming active in the evening, as bats and owls; crepuscular.
Origin: Latin vespertīnus, from vesper, evening; see Vesper .