Variant of square
- a plane figure having four equal sides and four right angles
- anything having or approximating this shape: a square of cloth
- any of the spaces on a board for chess, checkers, etc.
- ☆ block ()
- an open area bounded by, or at the intersection of, several streets, usually used as a park, plaza, etc.
- buildings surrounding such an area
- an instrument having two sides that form an angle of 90 degrees, used for drawing or testing right angles
- a solid piece with at least one face that is a square: to cut a cake into squares
- the product of a number or quantity multiplied by itself: 9 is the square of 3
- ☆ Informal a square meal: three squares a day
- ☆ Slang a person who is square ()
Origin: ME < OFr esquarre < VL *exquadra < *exquadrare, to make square < L ex, out + quadrare, to square < quadrus, a square < base of quattuor, four
- to make into a square; make square
- to make into any rectangle
- to test or adjust with regard to straightness or evenness: to square a surface with a straightedge
- to bring to or near to the form of a right angle: to square one's shoulders
- to settle; adjust; make right or even: to square accounts
- to adjust or settle the accounts of: to square oneself with another
- to make equal: to square the score of a game
- to bring into agreement; make conform: to square a statement with the facts
- to mark off (a surface) in a series of connected squares
- to bring into the correct position, as with reference to a line, course, etc.
- to multiply (a number or quantity) by itself
- to determine the square that is equal in area to (a figure)
- Slang to bribe
Origin: ME squaren < OFr esquarrer < VL *exquadrare
Origin: ME < OFr esquarre, pp. of esquarrer
- having four equal sides and four right angles
- more or less cubical; rectangular and three-dimensional, as a box
- forming a right angle, or having a rectangular part or parts
- correctly adjusted or positioned; straight, level, even, etc.
- leaving no balance; balanced; even
- even in score; tied
- just; fair; honest
- clear; direct; straightforward; unequivocal: a square refusal
- designating or of a unit of surface measure in the form of a square having sides of a specified length
- given or stated in terms of such surface measure
- having a shape broad for its length or height, with a solid, sturdy appearance, and somewhat rectangular or rectilinear: a square jaw
- square or rectangular in cross section, as some files
- designating a number that is the product of another number multiplied by itself
- ☆ Informal satisfying; solid; substantial: a square meal
- ☆ Slang not conversant with the current fads, styles, slang, etc.; old-fashioned, unsophisticated, conservative, etc.
- Naut. at right angles to the keel and mast, as the yards of a square-rigged ship
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.