- the act of squaring
- the construction of a square equal in area to a given surface: the quadrature of a circle
- Astron. a configuration of a superior planet or the moon in which the angle between it and the sun, as seen from the earth, is 90°
Origin of quadratureLate Latin quadratura from Classical Latin quadratus: see quadrate
- The process of making something square.
- Mathematics The process of constructing a square equal in area to a given surface.
- Astronomy A configuration in which the position of one celestial body is 90° from another celestial body as measured from a third body, typically Earth.
- the process of making something square; squaring
- (astronomy) a situation in which three celestial bodies form a right-angled triangle, the observer being located at the right angle
- When the Moon is in quadrature, it appears in the sky as a half-moon.
- (physics) the condition in which the phase angle between two alternating quantities is 90Â°
- (art) A painting painted on a wooden panel
From Latin quadrÄtÅ«ra.