- Rare the action of escaping or a means of escape
- the part in a mechanical clock or watch that controls the speed and regularity of the balance wheel or pendulum, and thereby of the entire mechanism, by the movement of a notched wheel (escape wheel), one tooth of which is permitted to escape from the detaining catch at a time
- a ratchet mechanism, esp. one in typewriters that regulates the horizontal movement of the carriage
Origin of escapementescape + -ment, after French échappement
- A mechanism consisting in general of an escape wheel and an anchor, used especially in timepieces to control movement of the wheel and to provide periodic energy impulses to a pendulum or balance.
- A mechanism, as in a typewriter, that controls the lateral movement of the carriage.
- a. An escape.b. A means or way of escape.
- The contrivance in a timepiece (winding wrist watch) which connects the train of wheel work with the pendulum or balance, giving to the latter the impulse by which it is kept in vibration; -- so called because it allows a tooth to escape from a pallet at each vibration.
- a mechanism found in devices such as a typewriter or printer which controls lateral motion of the carriage
- an escape or means of escape