a sudden, forceful escape, as from prison or enemy troop encirclement
achieving, resulting in, or characterized by sudden or unexpected success or popularity
- A forceful emergence from a restrictive condition or situation.
- A sudden manifestation or increase, as of a disease; an outbreak.
- A sudden or dramatic improvement or increase in popularity: “Now grown on a small scale in several arid regions, this crop seems poised for a major breakout” (Noel Vietmeyer).
- A breakdown of statistical data.
- Sports A play, as in hockey, in which the defending team moves the puck out of its defensive zone, especially by passing, to begin an offensive play.
- Characterized by a sudden significant improvement or increase in popularity: a ballplayer having a breakout season; a band with a breakout album.
- Conducted separately from a larger group or meeting: attended several breakout sessions at the conference.