- The definition of a getaway is an escape, or a fast start of a racing car, or a vacation, or a vacation destination.
- When you have a car ready for you outside of the bank when committing a robbery and you then get in the car and drive away really fast, this is an example of a getaway.
- When you and your family go to Florida for a week to sit on the beach and relax, this is an example of a getaway.
- Jamaica or another popular vacation destination is an example of a getaway.
getaway definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of starting, as in a race
- the act of escaping, as from the police
- a period of rest and relaxation, esp. a short one: a weekend getaway
- the place to which one goes for this: a favorite getaway in the mountains
getaway definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of escaping: made a quick getaway.
- The start, as of a race.
- A place appropriate for a vacation.