- Dessert is defined as something sweet you eat after a meal.
An example of dessert is cake or pudding.
A tray of traditional French desserts.
dessert definition by Webster's New World
- ☆ a usually sweet course, as of pie, cake, or ice cream, served at the end of a meal
- Brit. uncooked fruit served after, or in place of, the sweet course
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from desservir, to clear the table ; from des- (L de), from plush servir (L servire), serve
dessert definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A usually sweet course or dish, as of fruit, ice cream, or pastry, served at the end of a meal.
- Chiefly British Fresh fruit, nuts, or sweetmeats served after the sweet course of a dinner.
Origin: French, from Old French desservir, to clear the table : des-, de- + servir, to serve; see serve.