a violent criminal, esp. one who murders
- merciless; ruthless
- played by persons competing as individuals rather than with partners, as some forms of bridge or pinochle
- A murderer, especially one who cuts throats.
- An unprincipled, ruthless person.
- A cutthroat trout.
- Cruel; murderous.
- Relentless or merciless in competition: a cutthroat business.
- Sports & Games Being a form of a game in which each of three or more players acts and scores individually: cutthroat handball; cutthroat bridge.
(comparative more cutthroat, superlative most cutthroat)
- Involving the cutting of throats
- Of or relating to a card game where everyone plays for him or herself rather than playing with a partner.
- He found that playing cutthroat Spades was much more difficult than playing with a partner.
- Ruthlessly competitive, dog-eat-dog
- Law is a cutthroat business, you always have to look out to see who is trying to outdo you.