- accompanied by much bloodshed or carnage
- flowing with blood; bloodstained
- eager for bloodshed; bloodthirsty
Origin of sanguinaryClassical Latin sanguinarius ; from sanguis, blood
- Accompanied by bloodshed.
- Eager for bloodshed; bloodthirsty.
- Consisting of blood.
Origin of sanguinaryLatin sanguinarius, from sanguis, sanguin-, blood.
(comparative more sanguinary, superlative most sanguinary)
- Not to be confused with sanguine. Sanguine means “optimistic", while sanguinary means “bloodthirsty, gory".
From Latin sanguinarius.