An example of a corny movie is one filled with overused romantic lines and a typical and boring plot.
Origin of cornyFrom corn1.
(comparative cornier, superlative corniest)
- Insipid or trite.
- The duct tape and wire were a pretty corny solution.
- Hackneyed or excessively sentimental.
- The movie was okay, but the love scene was really corny.
- He sent a bouquet of twelve red roses and a card: "Roses are red, Violets are blue, Sugar is sweet, And so are you." How corny is that!
- Containing corn; tasting well of malt.
corn + -y; in the "hackneyed" sense, from "corn catalogue jokes", reputedly low-quality jokes that were formerly printed in mail-order seed catalogues.
(comparative more corny, superlative most corny)
- (obsolete) Strong, stiff, or hard, like a horn; resembling horn.