- The definition of collaborate means to work together.
A group working together to organize an event is an example of collaborate.
- Collaborate means to cooperate with an enemy.
A president working with a rival country to free hostages is an example of to collaborate.
intransitive verb-·rat·ed, -·rat·ing
- to work together, esp. in some literary, artistic, or scientific undertaking
- to cooperate with an enemy invader
Origin of collaboratefrom Ecclesiastical Late Latin collaboratus, past participle of collaborare, to work together from Classical Latin com-, with + laborare, to work: see labor
intransitive verbcol·lab·o·rat·ed, col·lab·o·rat·ing, col·lab·o·rates
- To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.
- To cooperate treasonably, as with an enemy occupation force in one's country.
Origin of collaborateLate Latin collabōrāre collabōrāt-Latin com- com- Latin labōrāre to work ( from labor toil )
(third-person singular simple present collaborates, present participle collaborating, simple past and past participle collaborated)