The definition of clement is someone or something that is likely to be gentle or kind.adjective
- The way elephants treat other living creatures is an example of clement.
- Seventy five degrees with a light breeze is an example of clement weather.
- forbearing; lenient; merciful
- mild, as weather
Origin: L clemens, prob. < IE base *lei-, to bend: see incline
- clemently adverb
Origin: L Clemens < clemens, mild: see clement
- (died 97); pope (88-97): martyr & Apostolic Father: his day is Nov. 23
- (born Giulio de' Medici) 1478-1534; pope (1523-34): excommunicated Henry VIII
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Inclined to be lenient or merciful.
- Mild: clement weather.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin clēmēns, clēment-.
- clemˈent·ly adverb