- The definition of boast means to brag about oneself or have something.
An example of boast is a sales person gloating about how many sales they made in a month.
boast definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- to talk proudly about deeds, abilities, etc., either one's own or those of someone close to one, esp. in a manner showing too much pride and satisfaction; brag
- Archaic to be vainly proud; exult
Origin: Middle English bosten ; from bost, noun ; from Anglo-Fr; probably via Germanic an unverified form bausia- (cf. Norwegian baus, bold, haughty), ultimately ; from Indo-European an unverified form bhōu-, variant, variety of base an unverified form bheu-, to grow, swell from source be
- to boast about
- to glory in having or doing (something); be proud of: the town boasts a fine new library
- the act of one who boasts
- anything boasted of
boast definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb boast·ed, boast·ing, boasts verb, intransitive
- To speak of with excessive pride.
- To possess or own (a desirable feature): “[the] capital of a region in the southeast that boasts bountiful coal fields” (US Air).
- To contain; have.
- The act or an instance of bragging.
- A source of pride.
Origin: Middle English bosten, from bost, a brag.
- boastˈer noun
- boastˈful adjective
- boastˈful·ly adverb
- boastˈful·ness noun
transitive verb boast·ed, boast·ing, boasts
Origin: Origin unknown.