- The definition of bellow means to roar or create a loud, deep sounding cry.
An example of bellow is for a cow to moo.
A bellowing cow.
bellow definition by Webster's New World
- to roar with a powerful, reverberating sound, as a bull does
- to cry out loudly, as in anger or pain
Origin: Middle English belwen ; from Old English bylgan: for Indo-European base see bell
bellow definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb bel·lowed, bel·low·ing, bel·lows verb, intransitive
- To make the deep roaring sound characteristic of a bull.
- To shout in a deep voice.
- The roar of a large animal, such as a bull.
- A very loud utterance or other sound.
Origin: Middle English belwen, perhaps from Old English belgan, to be enraged, and bylgan, to bellow.
- belˈlow·er noun
, Saul 1915-2005.