- The definition of a croon is a soft and gentle voice or hum.
The soft gentle voice a mother uses when singing to her baby is an example of a croon.
- Croon is defined as to hum, sing or say something in a soothing and melodic voice.
An example ofcroon is amother softly singing a lullaby to her baby.
- to sing or hum in a low, gentle tone
- to sing (popular songs) in a soft, sentimental manner
Origin of croonMiddle English and Middle Dutch cronen, akin to Middle Low German kronen, to growl from Indo-European base an unverified form ger-: see crow
verbcrooned, croon·ing, croons
- To hum or sing softly.
- To sing popular songs in a soft, sentimental manner.
- Scots To roar or bellow.
Origin of croonMiddle English crounen from Middle Dutch krōnen to lament ; see gerə-2 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present croons, present participle crooning, simple past and past participle crooned)