- to fasten by sticking, tying, etc.
- to make (a person or thing) part of; join: often used reflexively: he attached himself to us
- to connect by ties of affection, attraction, etc.
- to add or affix (a signature, codicil, etc.)
- to ascribe: I attach great significance to the news
- to appoint by authority or order
- Law to take (property) into custody of a court by writ
- Mil. to join (troops, a unit, etc.) temporarily to some other unit
Origin of attachMiddle English attachen from Old French atacher, altered by substitution of prefix from estachier, to attach from estache, a post, stake from Frankish an unverified form stakka: see stick