- The definition of aromatic is something with a scent, most often one that is pleasant.
An example of aromatic would be a word used to describe the newly cut fresh flowers in the kitchen vase.
- of or having an aroma; smelling sweet or spicy; fragrant or pungent
- Chem. of or designating certain cyclic compounds, including benzene, derivatives of benzene, and compounds containing one or more benzene rings: many of these derivatives and compounds have a recognizable odor
Origin of aromaticMiddle English aromatik ; from Old French aromatique ; from Late Latin aromaticus ; from Classical Greek arōmatikos ; from arōma, sweet spice
- Having an aroma; fragrant or sweet-smelling: aromatic herbs.
- Chemistry Of, relating to, or containing one or more molecular ring structures having properties of stability and reactivity characteristic of benzene.
- An aromatic plant or substance, such as a medication.
- Chemistry An aromatic organic compound.
The organic compound naphthalene is composed of two fused benzene rings.
(comparative more aromatic, superlative most aromatic)
- (organic chemistry): aliphatic
From Middle French aromatique, from Ancient Greek ἄρωμα (arōma, “seasoning, spicy and/or fragrant smell”).