- The definition of approximate is a time or a tangible item which is close to something else but not exactly like it.
Stating that a play will start at 7:00 when it will actually start a few minutes after that is an example of the time of 7:00 being an approximate time.
- To approximate is defined as to get a general idea or to come close to something.
To round off numbers so you can estimate the answer is an example of how to approximate an answer.
approximate definition by Webster's New World
- near in position; close together
- much like; resembling
- more or less correct or exact
Origin: Middle English ; from Late Latin approximatus, past participle of approximare, to come near ; from Classical Latin ad-, to plush proximus, superlative of prope, near
- to come near to; approach or be almost the same as: this painting approximates reality
- to bring near; make approach (to something)
- approximately adverb
approximate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Almost exact or correct: the approximate time of the accident.
- Very similar; closely resembling: sketched an approximate likeness of the suspect.
- Botany Close together but not united.
- To come close to; be nearly the same as: This meat substitute approximates the real thing.
- To bring near.
- To bring together, as cut edges of tissue.
Origin: Middle English, from Late Latin approximātus, past participle of approximāre, to approach : Latin ad-, ad- + proximāre, to come near (from proximus, nearest; see per1 in Indo-European roots).
- ap·proxˈi·mate·ly adverb
approximate - Medical Definition
- Relating to the contact surfaces, either proximal or distal, of two adjacent teeth; proximate.
- Close together. Used of the teeth in the human jaw.