Santa's suit is red.
- The definition of red is having the color on the end of the spectrum before orange.
An example of something red is blood.
- Red is the color on the end of the spectrum before orange.
An example of red is the color of Santa Claus' suit.
- a primary color, or any of a spread of colors at the lower end of the visible spectrum, varying in hue from that of blood to pale rose or pink
- a pigment producing this color
Origin of redfrom the red flag symbolizing revolutionary socialismInformal a political radical or revolutionary; esp., a communist
- anything colored red, as a red space on a roulette wheel, a red checker piece, or red clothing
- red wine
- Slang a red capsule of secobarbital, a barbiturate: usually used in pl.
Origin of redMiddle English ; from Old English read, akin to German rot, Old Norse rauthr ; from Indo-European base an unverified form reudh-, red from source Classical Greek erythros, Classical Latin ruber, rufus, red, rubere, to be red, Old Irish r?ad, Lithuanian ra?das, red
- having or being of the color red or any of its hues
- having red hair
- having a reddish or coppery skin
- florid, flushed, or blushing
- sore; inflamed
- politically radical or revolutionary; esp., communist
- of the Soviet Union
Origin of redsee blue stateInformal Republican
in the red⌂
Origin of redsee red ink
into the red⌂
Origin of redsee red ink
- a. The hue of the long-wave end of the visible spectrum, evoked in the human observer by radiant energy with wavelengths of approximately 630 to 750 nanometers; any of a group of colors that may vary in lightness and saturation and whose hue resembles that of blood; one of the additive or light primaries; one of the psychological primary hues.b. A pigment or dye having a red hue.c. Something that has a red hue.
- a. often Red A Communist.b. A revolutionary activist.
- The condition of being in debt or operating at a loss: The firm has been in the red all year.
- Having a color resembling that of blood.
- Reddish in color or having parts that are reddish in color: a red dog; a red oak.
- a. Having a reddish or coppery skin color.b. often Red Often Offensive Of or being a Native American.
- Having a ruddy or flushed complexion: red with embarrassment.
- Relating to or being a red state.
- often Red Communist.
Origin of redMiddle English, from Old English r&emacron;ad; see reudh- in Indo-European roots.
- A Communist
- A supporter of a sports team who wears red as part of their kit.
- A nickname given to someone who has or had red hair.
- the Red Army
From Middle English -red, -redde, -rede, -reden, from Old English -rÇ£den (which see). Cognate with German -rat (as in Heirat (“marriage")).