- The definition of scarlet is something that is a vibrant red color, or is being immoral or sinful.
- A vibrant red rose is an example of something that would be described as scarlet red.
- The sin of adultery is an example of something that would be considered scarlet behavior.
- Scarlet is a vibrant or brilliant red color.
The color of a vibrant red rose is an example of scarlet.
Beautiful scarlet roses.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- very bright red with a slightly orange tinge
- cloth or clothing of this color
Origin: ME, aphetic from Old French escarlate from Midieval Latin scarlatum from Persian säqirlāt, dress dyed crimson from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- of this color
- of sin; sinful; specif., whorish
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A strong to vivid red or reddish orange.
- Scarlet-colored clothing or cloth.
- Of a strong to vivid red or reddish orange.
- Flagrantly immoral or unchaste: scarlet thoughts.
Origin: Middle English, scarlet cloth, scarlet, from Old French escarlate, from Medieval Latin scarlata, scarlet cloth, from Persian saqirlāt, rich cloth, scarlet cloth, variant of siqillāt, from Arabic, perhaps from Medieval Greek *sigillatos, from Latin sigillātus, decorated with raised figures, from sigilla, little figures, pl. of sigillum, sigil; see sigil.