- The definition of ruddy is a person or thing with a rosy red color.
An example of ruddy are rosy cheeks.
- a. Having a healthy, reddish color.b. Reddish; rosy.
- Chiefly British Slang Used as an intensive: “You ruddy liar!” (John Galsworthy).
Origin of ruddyMiddle English rudi, from Old English rudig; see reudh- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative ruddier, superlative ruddiest)
- (informal) ruddy duck
(third-person singular simple present ruddies, present participle ruddying, simple past and past participle ruddied)
- To make reddish in colour.
- The sunset ruddied our faces.
Old English rudiÄ¡.