- an adjustment or trying on of clothes, etc. for fit
- a small part used to join, adjust, or adapt other parts, as in a system of pipes
- [pl.] the fixtures, furnishings, or decorations of a house, office, automobile, etc.
- The definition of fitting is something appropriate or expected.
- An example of fitting is a man with a 34" waist wearing 34" waist jeans; a fitting size.
- An example of fitting is someone who's known for not showing up for events, not showing up to a party; a fitting absence.
- Fitting is defined as the activity when someone tries on clothes to make sure they are the right size, or a small part that joins together other parts.
- An example of a fitting is trying on a new skirt that is being made by a dressmaker to make sure it is the correct length.
- An example of a fitting is an elbow joint of pipe.
suitable; proper; appropriate
Being in keeping with a situation; appropriate.
- The act of trying on clothes whose fit is being adjusted.
- A small detachable part for a machine or apparatus.
- fittings Chiefly British Furnishings or fixtures.
- A small detachable part of a device or machine.
- The act of trying on clothes to inspect or adjust the fit.
- (manufacturing) The process of applying craft methods such as skilled filing to the making and assembling of machines or other products.
- (chiefly UK) Domestic moveable piece of furniture, which can be taken along when moving out, US furnishing..
- the fittings of a church or study
- Her room was tiny, barely fitting a twin-sized bed and a small, wooden dresser.
- A broken nose was fitting punishment.
- After the fitting, Carmen retrieved Destiny.
- While she'd most likely be out on the job, he'd case the place, now that his detective hat was fitting so well.
- It is fitting that Miss Keller's "Story of My Life" should appear at this time.