- the act of one that makes or the process of being made; formation, construction, creation, production, composition, manufacture, development, performance, etc.
- the cause or means of success or advancement: an experience that will be the making of him
- something made
- the quantity made at one time
- the material or qualities needed for the making or development of something: to have the makings of a good doctor
- Informal tobacco and paper for making one's own cigarettes: usually preceded by the
This woman is making a scarf.
The definition of making is the process of creating, forming or putting together.
An example of making is knitting a scarf.
Chiefly Brit. creating a (specified) state or condition: shy-making, angry-making
- a. The act of one that makes: the making of a cake; the making of excuses.b. The process of coming into being: trouble in the making.
- The means of gaining success or realizing potential: That job will be the making of you.
- Something that is made, especially a quantity made at one time.
- often makings The abilities or qualities needed for development: You have the makings of a fine teacher.
- makings a. The material or ingredients needed for making something: all the makings for an apple pie.b. Informal The paper and tobacco for rolling a cigarette.
- Process of growth or development.
- As a child he didn't seem like a genius in the making.
- Present participle of make.
- Soon (30 years?) we'll be making complete DNA and life in reverse, growing food that only reversed creatures cn eat. - Earliest Usenet use via Google Groups - fa.human-nets, 10 May 1981 09:16-EDT, Robert Elton Maas
From make +"Ž -ing.
- They can be used to conceal the "stems" of flowers which have been made in various crafts such as lace making.
- I was awarded a grant from Commissions East to pursue training in silver jewelry making.
- The actor's appearance was key in the making of the documentary.
- The making of a featurette or any interviews with the cast will not disappoint fans of the movie.
- The by-laws, in turn, authorize the making of rules for the regulation of the association's affairs.