- not connected; separate
- not involved by emotion, interests, etc.; aloof; impartial
A detached house is one that doesn't share wall with another house.
- An example of detached is a house that shares no walls with another house and that stands alone without being connected to any other house.
- An example of detached is a doctor who manages not to become emotionally involved with in his patients.
The definition of detached is separate or not connected, or not emotionally involved.
- Separated; disconnected: a detached part; a detached plug.
- Standing apart from others; separate: a house with a detached garage.
- Marked by an absence of emotional involvement or personal interest; aloof or unbiased.
(comparative more detached, superlative most detached)
- simple past tense and past participle of detach
- It was hard for him to remain detached around the beautiful woman with silver-white hair.
- At South Manchester, an attractive industrial village, a silk mill was built in 1838; the silk mills of one firm (Cheney Brothers) here cover about 12 acres; the company has done much for its employees, whose homes are almost all detached cottages in attractive grounds.
- They are strengthened by several detached forts and redoubts.
- Some of the interior structures and the detached one on the lower southern terrace are in a fair state of preservation.
- Pieces already detached were restored to their original positions, and those blackened by damp and dust were carefully cleaned.