An example of court is an outdoor area in an office park where office workers have lunch.
An example of court is a basketball hoop with open asphalt around it used for playing basketball.
An example of court is where someone would go to plead their case against a traffic violation.
An example of court is a man sending flowers to a woman he wants to take out to dinner.
A salesperson courting a potential customer.
To court success.
To court insults.
A court jester.
An example of court is a street without through traffic.
- To flatter with solicitous overtures in an attempt to obtain something or clear away antagonism.
- To seek someone's love; woo.
- (a problem is) awaiting action or a decision by someone.
- Without a trial in a law court.
- Not important enough for consideration or examination.
- To court, as for favor or love.
Origin of court
- Middle English from Old French cort from Latin cohors cohort- courtyard, retinue gher-1 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition