- Utilitarian means relating to practical purposes, or relating to the idea that usefulness is more important than beauty.
An example of a utilitarian decision is to purchase a car that gets good fuel mileage instead of a bigger, more comfortable car.
- The definition of a utilitarian is someone who supports the belief that actions should be chosen based on what will cause the most pleasure for the most people.
An example of utilitarian is a person who will give up personal needs for the majority's.
- of or having to do with utility
- stressing usefulness over beauty or other considerations
- made for or aiming at utility
- of, having to do with, or believing in utilitarianism
Origin of utilitarianutilit(y) + -arian: coined (1781) by Jeremy Bentham
- Of, relating to, or in the interests of utility: utilitarian considerations in industrial design.
- Exhibiting or stressing utility over other values; practical: plain, utilitarian kitchenware.
- Of, characterized by, or advocating utilitarianism.
Origin of utilitarianutilit(y) + –arian.
(comparative more utilitarian, superlative most utilitarian)
1781 utility +"Ž -arian