- An example of a transgression is having an affair.
- Driving 100 mph in a 55 mph zone is an example of a transgression.
The definition of a transgression is an act that goes past set limits or breaks a law.
the act or an instance of transgressing; breach of a law, duty, etc.
- A violation of a law, principle, or duty. See Synonyms at breach.
- The exceeding of due bounds or limits.
- A relative rise in sea level resulting in deposition of marine strata over terrestrial strata.
Latin transgressus, from trans- (“over-") + gressus (“step")