- Generally is defined as usually or for the most part.
An example of generally used as an adverb is in the sentence, "He generally gets to work around 9:30 a.m.," which means that he usually gets to work around 9:30.
generally definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- to or by most people; widely; popularly; extensively: a generally accepted usage
- in most instances; usually; as a rule
- in a general way or sense; without reference to details or individual cases; not specifically
generally definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Popularly; widely: generally known.
- a. As a rule; usually: The child generally has little to say.b. For the most part: a generally boring speech.
- Without reference to particular instances or details; not specifically: generally speaking.