- The definition of a temptation is an urge or desire to do something, especially something you should not, or it refers to a wrong or forbidden pleasure that is enticing.
- When you feel a strong urge to eat cake when on a diet, this is an example of temptation.
- The cake that makes you want to eat it is an example of a temptation.
temptation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a tempting or being tempted
- something that tempts; enticement
Origin: Old French ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin temptatio ; from Classical Latin an attack, trial
temptation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of tempting or the condition of being tempted.
- Something tempting or enticing.